Self-styled godman Swami Keerthi booked for sexual abuse
- Kashmir crisis: Rajnath Singh dials Sonia Gandhi, Omar Abdullah; appeals for peace
- Toll rises to 25 as Kashmir continues to simmer amid curfew
- Eder wonder goal helps Portugal beat France, win Euro 2016
- Sensex rallies 464 pts, Nifty above 8,400 on Asian leads
- Odisha anti-Maoist ops: ‘When I returned, my wife was lying dead in the drain’
A 40-year-old self-styled godman was booked here after a woman devotee accused him of sexual abuse, police said today.
Swami Keerthi, who has set up a Bharati Spiritual Ashram here, was booked yesterday by the police following a complaint by the victim, who also alleged that he demanded money and threatened to kill her, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP), Paderu, A R Damodar said.
The victim, who was sexually assaulted in August and has been a follower of Keerthi for long, alleged that other women followers at his Ashram were also undergoing similar harassment, the police officer said.
Based on the complaint, the police has registered cases under IPC sections 120B (Punishment of criminal conspiracy), 420 (Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property), 354 (Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and investigations are on.
Keerthi, a native of Marripalem area in Visakhapatnam came to Paderu in the agency area, a decade ago and identified himself as a spiritual guru, allegedly duped people by promising to cure them of their diseases and solving their problems through supernatural powers.
Keerthi has set up his ashram in around three acres of land near Vanthadapalle in Paderu.
- Hostilities between Pakistan and Afghanistan are rising
- Supreme Court must play referee in Centre-Delhi government tussle
- Police departments are home to deep-seated gender bias and stereotyping
- Prakash Javadekar must ensure ideology does not take precedence over reform
- Brexit militates against the spirit of human oneness
- Economic reforms: In the next 25 years we have a good chance of wiping out poverty completely