Semi-basements to be legal, MC to issue notices soon
- Live, Ind vs Aus: Quick strikes put India on top
- Bengal nun gangrape: First arrest made from Mumbai
- Germanwings crash: Chilling report says one pilot left cockpit, was unable to return
- If anything that is defamatory goes off, we will have a very boring Internet: Jaitley
- Hooda govt bent rules to favour Robert Vadra firm: CAG
Shopkeepers of Sarabha Nagar market, Raarewala market and Feroze Gandhi market will be the first to receive the notices
The Ludhiana Municipal Corporation, in the latest letter issued by the Local Bodies Department, Chandigarh, has got the orders to regularise all the illegal semi-basements at markets.
Sources in MC said from December 27 onwards, the MC would issue notices to the shops having semi-basements. After recovering a compound fee along with the penalty as per the measurement of the semi-basements, they would be regularised.
The shopkeepers of Sarabha Nagar main market, Raarewala market and Feroze Gandhi market will be the first to receive the notices as Zone-D has the maximum number of such illegal semi-basements. "It is another way of getting money as MC does not even have enough funds to run some major projects," added sources.
Confirming the move, Surinder Bindra, assistant town planner (zone D), said, "We will be issuing notices from December 27 onwards, and semi-basements will be made legal now after recovering penalty from offenders."
Rohit Sabharwal and Arvind Sharma, RTI activists, said, "It is a good move as it will not only provide MC with some funds but also give relief to shopkeepers who have made semi-basements."