Senior Congress MLA calls AP's Congress CM Kiran Reddy 'incompetent', quits
- Aurangabad arms haul case: MCOCA court convicts 12 including Abu Jundal
- Rajnath Singh to visit Pakistan in August, attend Saarc meet
- Indigo flight makes emergency landing in Mumbai after passenger creates ruckus
- Assam floods: Sonowal directs ministers to visit constituencies as situation worsens
- Bhagwant Mann: Didn't breach security, even TV channels broadcast from Parliament
Senior Congress MLA from Punganur in Andhra Pradesh, Peddireddi Ramachandra Reddy, today resigned from the House protesting the continuation of N Kiran Kumar Reddy as Chief Minister.
Peddireddi met Assembly Speaker Nadendla Manohar and handed over his resignation.
A former minister and five-time MLA, Peddireddi is a known detractor of Kiran Kumar in their native Chittoor district.
Kiran dropped Peddireddi from the Cabinet when he became Chief Minister in November 2010.
Peddireddi had set November 29 as deadline for the Congress high command to replace the Chief Minister.
With no indication of a leadership change, Peddireddi tendered his resignation as an MLA.
Already three MLAs have quit their posts and joined the YSR Congress.
Union Minister S Jaipal Reddy, state Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana and other senior leaders reportedly spoke to Peddireddi since yesterday and tried to prevail on him not to quit.
But Peddireddi remained steadfast and met the Speaker this morning and put in his papers.
"I have repeatedly been asking the Congress high command to replace Kiran Kumar as Chief Minister since he is totally incompetent to hold the post.
But so far the high command did not take any action in this regard.
Hence, I have resigned," Peddireddi told newsmen.
He, however, announced he would continue in Congress.
"Ever since he became Chief Minister, Kiran stopped all development works in my Punganur constituency beginning with the drinking water scheme. Besides, he has been harassing my followers in the district," he alleged.
"Kiran never held even a small party post in Chittoor district or in the Pradesh Congress Committee.
He never served as a minister and did not have any administrative experience.
He is totally incompetent and misfit to be Chief Minister," Peddireddi said.
Asked whether he would join the YSR Congress, the former minister said he would continue in the Congress only.
- Irom Sharmila calling off her fast against the AFSPA reflects the state’s failure to engage
- Strengthen Centre-state relations by giving the Inter-State Council teeth
- The Patel agitation and Dalit unrest threaten BJP’s dominance in Gujarat
- The CAMPA Bill: Whose forests are these anyway?
- Arundhati Ghose will be remembered for her role in India’s nuclear diplomacy
- Nativist sentiments and a growing tendency towards looking inwards imperil globalisation