Senior IAS officer killed in mishap
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
A senior IAS officer of the Rajasthan cadre was today killed when a speeding car hit him near the central park here, police said.
V S Singh (57), who is survived by his wife and two married daughters, was the Additional Chief Secretary-Forest and Environment. He was returning after a morning walk when the accident took place.
"He was crossing the road with two others when an Alto car hit them. They were rushed to SMS hospital where Singh died," police commissioner B L Soni said.
"The driver was held on the spot and the car has been seized," he added.
SMS Hospital Superintendent Dr Virendra Singh said, "the officer was critically injured and succumbed to injuries."
Singh was an IAS officer of the 1978 batch and held several positions like Chairman of the State Pollution Control Board, Principal secretary in several departments like forest, home, water resources, labour, sports and youth affairs and was the district collector in Churu.