Sensex Rail Budget Impact: BSE index shares plunge 235 pts on freight rate hike
- Rs 870 crore money trail: Why the Bhujbals are under scanner
- SC allows 'Make in India' event at Mumbai beach, PM to inaugurate
- Pawar defends Bhujbals, says Fadnavis govt indulging in vendetta politics
- Anupam Kher a great artiste, welcome to visit Pakistan: Abdul Basit
- Indian helicopters helped war against militants in Afghanistan: US General
Rail Budget impact on Sensex: The BSE benchmark tumbled 235 points in mid-session trade today as selling pressure gathered momentum after a proposed freight rate hike by Pawan Kumar Bansal.
After a lower start, the Sensex surrendered further ground to trade 234.72 points, or 1.21 per cent down to 19,096.70 at 1330 hrs.
Similarly, the broad-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty lost 70.95 points, or 1.21 per cent, to 5,783.80 at the same time.
The government proposed a hike of five per cent freight rate in the rail budget which might increased burden on the corporate earnings.
Share prices of companies that cater to the railway sector were under pressure and tanked up to 8 per cent as Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal delivered his maiden Rail Budget in the Lok Sabha.
Brokers said there was no benefit announced for the railway wagon makers which dampened the sentiment further.
Kalindee Rail Nirman was the largest loser and dropped 8.10 per cent on the BSE, followed by Hind Rectifiers which dropped 6.71 per cent and Kernex Microsystems which fell by 6.42 per cent.
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar
- ICDS, the primary scheme targeting malnutrition, needs to be broadened
- Rohith's death must focus attention on the rites of exclusion in the university
- Telescope: State in the bedroom
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism