Sensex up 92 points in early trade ahead of IIP data
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
The BSE benchmark Sensex today gained by nearly 92 points in early trade on fresh buying by funds and retailers ahead of industrial output data amid a firming trend in other Asian bourses.
The 30-share barometer rose by 91.65 points, or 0.47 per cent, to 19,478.79. It had lost nearly 100 points in the past three sessions.
All the sectoral indices, led by IT and interest-sensitive auto, were trading with gains up to 1 per cent.
Similarly, the wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty moved up by 25.80 points, or 0.43 per cent, to 5,924.60.
Brokers said expectations of better industrial output data for October to be released later today and a firming trend on the Asian markets mainly triggered buying by funds and retail investors.
In the Asian region, Hong Kong's Hang Seng index rose by 0.45 per cent and Japan's Nikkei was up by 0.61 per cent in early trade. The US Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 0.60 per cent higher in yesterday's trade following signs of progress in fiscal cliff talks and upbeat data from Germany and Spain.
GLOBAL MARKETS ROUNDUP
* Nifty futures on the Singapore Exchange rose 0.13 percent. The MSCI-Asia Pacific index excluding Japan gained 0.38 percent.
* U.S. stocks rose on Tuesday, led by gains in technology companies, helping the S&P 500 end at its highest level since Election Day.
* Asian shares rose buoyed by strength in global equities markets, firmer economic sentiment in Germany and hopes of a deal from U.S. budget talks, while the dollar came under pressure ahead of the Federal Reserve's policy decision.
FACTORS TO WATCH
* October industrial output data (around 0530 GMT).
* India November retail inflation data around 0530 GMT.
* India govt looking to raise about $1 billion by divesting a stake in state miner NMDC.