Serious negotiations going with investors: Kingfisher tells SC
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Protests against Kejriwal in Varanasi; Modi's rally stage collapses due to rain
The Supreme Court today deferred hearing on Vijay Mallya-owned Kingfisher Airlines' plea challenging Karnataka High Court's order to deposit around Rs 185 crores with the Income Tax Department as tax deducted at source (TDS) from its employees' wages.
A bench headed by Justice D K Jain deferred the hearing for four weeks after senior advocate Harish Salve, appearing for the airlines, submitted that "serious negotiations are going on between the company and investors".
The Airlines has challenged the December 5 order of the high court directing it to deposit 50 per cent of the Rs 371 crore to IT department. It had also asked the company to furnish bank guarantee for the remaining amount within six weeks.
The company contended in its petition that the amount due is much less than the demand made by the IT Department and the department had not given it a proper opportunity to hear its case.
It said the Department had issued notices without providing the company reasonable and sufficient opportunity of being heard.
The Department had claimed that the company had illegally withheld the revenue even after deducting the said amount from various sources, including by way of TDS.
The Department, in December 2011, had demanded payment of about Rs 372 crore as TDS from the company for the assessment years 2010-11, and 2011-12 following analysis of records.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer