Seven of highway robbers’ gang arrested by police
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy moves Supreme Court for cancellation of arrest warrant
- AAP announces second list of candidates, Rajmohan Gandhi to contest from East Delhi
- Admiral DK Joshi was disturbed, requested me to accept resignation: AK Antony
- Narendra Modi beats Rahul Gandhi in popularity, says US think tank
- Rahul Gandhi slams Salman Khurshid over 'impotent' remark against Narendra Modi
Batala police has arrested seven members of a highway robbers' gang, who used to carry out robberies by targeting vehicles of other states passing through Punjab.
The robbers, Batala SSP Tulsi Ram said, used to rob people by guising themselves as policemen and using an Innova with a red-beacon atop. "On December 30, they had robbed tourists from Rajasthan who were on their way to Vaishno Devi on an Innova. The accused intercepted the tourists near Dasuya and intimidated them by saying that there were drugs in their vehicle. They brought the tourists to Ghumman before decamping with all the tyres and jewellery," said Ram.
The accused, who were arrested on Sunday, have been identified as Satnam Singh, Raghbir Singh, Daljinder Singh, Harjinder Singh, Baljit Singh, Robin and Harpreet. All belong to families of agriculturists.
Two of their accomplices were still at large, said the SSP, adding that the gang members have confessed to carrying out 14 highway robberies since May 2012.
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight