Seven of highway robbers’ gang arrested by police
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Did not get personal with Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi
Batala police has arrested seven members of a highway robbers' gang, who used to carry out robberies by targeting vehicles of other states passing through Punjab.
The robbers, Batala SSP Tulsi Ram said, used to rob people by guising themselves as policemen and using an Innova with a red-beacon atop. "On December 30, they had robbed tourists from Rajasthan who were on their way to Vaishno Devi on an Innova. The accused intercepted the tourists near Dasuya and intimidated them by saying that there were drugs in their vehicle. They brought the tourists to Ghumman before decamping with all the tyres and jewellery," said Ram.
The accused, who were arrested on Sunday, have been identified as Satnam Singh, Raghbir Singh, Daljinder Singh, Harjinder Singh, Baljit Singh, Robin and Harpreet. All belong to families of agriculturists.
Two of their accomplices were still at large, said the SSP, adding that the gang members have confessed to carrying out 14 highway robberies since May 2012.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit