Seven of highway robbers’ gang arrested by police
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Batala police has arrested seven members of a highway robbers' gang, who used to carry out robberies by targeting vehicles of other states passing through Punjab.
The robbers, Batala SSP Tulsi Ram said, used to rob people by guising themselves as policemen and using an Innova with a red-beacon atop. "On December 30, they had robbed tourists from Rajasthan who were on their way to Vaishno Devi on an Innova. The accused intercepted the tourists near Dasuya and intimidated them by saying that there were drugs in their vehicle. They brought the tourists to Ghumman before decamping with all the tyres and jewellery," said Ram.
The accused, who were arrested on Sunday, have been identified as Satnam Singh, Raghbir Singh, Daljinder Singh, Harjinder Singh, Baljit Singh, Robin and Harpreet. All belong to families of agriculturists.
Two of their accomplices were still at large, said the SSP, adding that the gang members have confessed to carrying out 14 highway robberies since May 2012.