Seven robbers 'gangrape' Dalit in front of husband, inflict serious injuries in Hathras
- Nobody will be allowed to break India's unity, says Rajnath after Masarat's arrest
- Modi should behave like a PM, not an RSS 'pracharak': Congress
- Vehicles set ablaze in Kolkata suburb after death of councillor's brother
- Yechury says Modi's frequent foreign trips to make up for years of not being able to fly
- VIDEO: The only Indian civilian to have done aerobatics on a Sukhoi
A group of seven robbers allegedly gangraped a dalit woman in front of her husband, leaving her critically injured, and robbed cash and jewellery from the house in Sikandararau police station area of Hathras district in the early hours of Tuesday.
The victim, who suffered serious injuries on her head, is undergoing treatment at Aligarh Medical College.
Hathras SP Happy Guptan said the police have registered a case of rape and robbery and have picked up two suspects for questioning. Guptan said the police rushed the victim to hospital after getting information about the incident in Purbind Nagar locality early in the morning.
The couple, along with their four-year-old son, were asleep in their one-room house when the gang entered around 2.30 am. The iron door of the one-room house could not be bolted from inside.
The man told the police that the intruders overpowered him at gunpoint, tied him up and wrapped a cloth around his mouth. They collected Rs 1,380 and some jewellery from a box, then gangraped his wife.
They hit her with a brick on the head when she resisted and tried to raise an alarm, said Guptan.
The intruders left without harming the child who remained asleep.