Sex education leads to more crimes against women, says Mumbai police chief
- Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh, 20 jawans feared dead
- Election Live: Rahul Gandhi addresses rally on Narendra Modi's turf
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh Monday said sex education would only make matters worse as far as crime against women is concerned as there is a higher rate of such crime in countries which have sex education in their curriculum.
"Sex education needs to be carefully thought out. Look at America. It has sex education as part of its curriculum, but students are simply being taught about how to have intercourse," Singh said at a discussion on women's safety organised by Loksatta, the Marathi daily of the The Indian Express group. "According to a survey, rape is more common than smoking there. Countries with sex education in their curriculum only have an increased number of crimes against women."
Singh said a strong emphasis on moral education is needed. "Sexual violence is more psychological than physical. This is because people today have a polluted mentality," he said, attributing it to the lack of moral education in schools in particular.
Singh had sparked outrage with his speech at another event 10 days back when he said those educated in English medium were more prone to suicide.
On Monday, Singh also criticised cinema and television. "Television serials openly show pre-marital and extra-marital sex. Nobody condemns it. Plus, the current generation has easy access to pornographic websites. Even cellphones have Internet these days, making it all the more easier," he said.
Read full transcript:
Main reasons for crimes against women is the perversity of the mind. The mind is contaminated. Unless the mind is perverted, such acts cannot take place.
According to me, as per advanced medical sciences, sexuality is not just a physical attribute, it is more of a state of mind. There are many examples of Vishwamitra, read the Mahabharat....
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express