Sex racket: Pimp held, remanded in police custody
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
The city police have arrested notorious pimp Kalyani Deshpande in connection with a sex racket case registered with Chatushringi police last month. On Monday, the police produced Deshpande before a magistrate court, which remanded her in police custody till April 24.
Deshpande was booked under Sections 420 (cheating), 342, 323, 504, 34 of the Indian Penal Code and under relevant Sections of Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act (PITA) for allegedly trying to force a 23-year-old aspiring model from Mumbai into prostitution last
month by promising her modelling assignments.
The victim had lodged a complaint at the Kothrud police station. Last week, a team of social security cell led by inspector Bhanupratab Barge arrested two 'agents' along with two girls in a car near Hotel Sanman on J M Road.
During interrogation, the two suspects Vishwanath Narayan Shetty (31) of Bandal Complex in Kothrud and Pradip Gawli (24) of Latur, allegedly told police that they worked for Deshpande.
Police said the suspects had given an advertisement of 'Venus Escorts' in an English daily for attracting customers.