Sex racket: Pimp held, remanded in police custody
- Missing AN-32: All leads have turned out to be bad, says Manohar Parrikar
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt issues notification, relief to lakhs of central govt employees
- Kashmir unrest: Barring Anantnag, curfew lifted from all parts; schools remain shut
- At least 19 killed in knife attack at facility for handicapped in Japan
- Delhi: Auto rickshaw, taxi strike hits commuters hard in the city
The city police have arrested notorious pimp Kalyani Deshpande in connection with a sex racket case registered with Chatushringi police last month. On Monday, the police produced Deshpande before a magistrate court, which remanded her in police custody till April 24.
Deshpande was booked under Sections 420 (cheating), 342, 323, 504, 34 of the Indian Penal Code and under relevant Sections of Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act (PITA) for allegedly trying to force a 23-year-old aspiring model from Mumbai into prostitution last
month by promising her modelling assignments.
The victim had lodged a complaint at the Kothrud police station. Last week, a team of social security cell led by inspector Bhanupratab Barge arrested two 'agents' along with two girls in a car near Hotel Sanman on J M Road.
During interrogation, the two suspects Vishwanath Narayan Shetty (31) of Bandal Complex in Kothrud and Pradip Gawli (24) of Latur, allegedly told police that they worked for Deshpande.
- BJP was not dependent on Dalits to win Gujarat. But the apathy may cost in other states
- Jayalalithaa and Mamata defend Mayawati, recast politics on gender lines
- The Worship of False Gods
- As Trump’s support cuts across traditional lines, Hillary Clinton has a tough task
- SH Raza He was the last of Progressive Artists’ Group titans. Only the Bindu remains
- The recent violence against Dalits in Gujarat is a fallout of the Sangh Parivar’s diktats on food