Sex racket: Pimp held, remanded in police custody
- Vote Supriya or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
The city police have arrested notorious pimp Kalyani Deshpande in connection with a sex racket case registered with Chatushringi police last month. On Monday, the police produced Deshpande before a magistrate court, which remanded her in police custody till April 24.
Deshpande was booked under Sections 420 (cheating), 342, 323, 504, 34 of the Indian Penal Code and under relevant Sections of Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act (PITA) for allegedly trying to force a 23-year-old aspiring model from Mumbai into prostitution last
month by promising her modelling assignments.
The victim had lodged a complaint at the Kothrud police station. Last week, a team of social security cell led by inspector Bhanupratab Barge arrested two 'agents' along with two girls in a car near Hotel Sanman on J M Road.
During interrogation, the two suspects Vishwanath Narayan Shetty (31) of Bandal Complex in Kothrud and Pradip Gawli (24) of Latur, allegedly told police that they worked for Deshpande.
Police said the suspects had given an advertisement of 'Venus Escorts' in an English daily for attracting customers.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer