Sexual assault case: Narayan Sai's police custody extended till December 18
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Internal battle in BJP out in open: M M Joshi seeks clarity on Varanasi seat
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
A magistrate's court here on Friday extended the police custody of Asaram Bapu's son Narayan Sai till December 18 in a rape case.
Chief Judicial Magistrate Jatin Thakkar extended Sai's police custody by five days as police said Sai's associates had tried to bribe authorities to dilute the case against him.
Public Prosecutor Nayan Sukhadwala submitted further custody was required to find out how he had conspired to bribe police, doctors and judicial officers to weaken his case. Police have detained six people, including a police sub-inspector, in this connection.
Police also sought Sai's remand to question him about the cellphones, pen drives and SIM cards recovered during the investigation so far.
Advocate Sukhadwala told the court that Sai was not cooperating. He also said police would like to take Sai to Ludhiana where he was hiding before eventual arrest.
He, however, did not seek further remand of Sai's aide Kaushal Thakur alias Hanuman. The court sent him in judicial custody.
Sai and two of his aides were arrested by Delhi Police on December 3 from Delhi-Haryana border.
Two Surat-based sisters have accused Sai and his father and controversial godman Asaram Bapu of rape. The elder sister has levelled allegations against Asaram and the younger sister has levelled allegations against the son.
Asaram (72) is currently in a Jodhpur jail after being arrested in September for allegedly sexually assaulting a minor girl at his ashram there..