Sexual assault charges against Madan Mitra’s ex-aide
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
A woman has filed a complaint with Garfa police station in south suburban Kolkata alleging sexual assault and cheating against Bapi Karim, the former confidential assistant of Sports and Transport Minister Madan Mitra.
According to sources in police, the woman has complained that she was married to Karim last year who cheated on him by hiding his first marriage. Since then, he sexually assaulted the victim and also duped her of Rs 60 lakh, the complaint said. Bapi Karim is the brother of Bablu Karim, a senior leader of youth wing of the Trinamool Congress.
The woman, who made a confidential statement under section 164 of CrPC before an Alipore SDJM court, alleged that Karim had stayed with her for two years promising to marry her, but did not honour the promise.
She claimed that Karim had emotionally blackmailed her into giving away the money with which she claimed he had bought a luxury SUV and land.
Mitra admitted that Karim worked as his CA last year. "However, after receiving some complaints against him, I had sacked him. I also issued a written order in November, 2011 saying that he is not anymore required in my office. I do not have any political and official connection to him. The law will take its own course," said Mitra.