Sexual assaults on US military women in war zone frequent: Study
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Sexual assault of military women while in a war zone is surprisingly common, according to new research by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
In a new study, around half of women deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan reported being sexual harassed, and one-quarter said they were sexually assaulted, U.S.A Today reports.
Reportedly, researchers contacted 1,100 women who served in Iraq or Afghanistan and asked them questions about sexual assaults and harassment while deployed.
Among the findings, sexual assaults, including rape, were reported by 22.8 percent of women.
The anonymous surveys also showed that 48.6 percent of women said they had experienced sexual harassment while in a war zone.
Most of the women said the offenders were other service-members, and in a little less than half the cases, the offender held a higher rank, the report said.
According to the report, sexual assault in the military has been in the spotlight over the past year.
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has been outspoken about the problem, calling the military''s record on prosecuting assaults an "outrage."
Last week, the Pentagon released its annual report on sexual harassment and violence at its military academies.
Sexual assaults reported by students at the academies jumped 23 percent in 2012, the third straight year of increases, the report added. (ANI)
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today