SFI members clash with police in Thiruvananthapuram
- Bihar: School director dies after mob assault over death of two students
- PM spoke about Rakhi, but neglected Muslims during 'Ramzan': Congress
- Watch video: CCTV captures Mumbai local ramming into station
- Another Vyapam scam accused dies; 24th death in the case
- Sushma's Ministry declines info under RTI on Lalit Modi's passport issue
Activists of the Students Federation of India and police clashed in many parts of the city on Wednesday after the former's march to the Legislative Assembly turned violent.
SFI, the student outfit of the CPI (M), was protesting against the Congress government's decision to grant autonomy to selected colleges in private and government sectors. SFI activists tried to barge into the assembly complex after breaking the barricades.
The march was addressed by CPI (M) politburo member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan. The activists who disbanded themselves after the march, regrouped on the premises of the University College. They hurled petrol bombs and stones on police, who in turn used grenade and tear gas several times to disperse the mob.