SGPC mulls replacing LPG with pipe gas for Darbar Sahib langar, writes to GAIL India
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) is mulling to replace LPG with natural pipeline gas for the langar (community kitchen) at the Golden Temple. The Sikh body has written to GAIL India to explore the possibility for the same and inform the SGPC about the economic viability of the project, safety aspect and effect on environment if it goes ahead with the plan.
GAIL India is already supplying natural pipeline gas to Jalandhar and Ludhiana, besides to National Fertilizers Limited (NFL) in Nangal and NFL in Bathinda.
"The company is planning to extend the pipeline from Jalandhar to Amritsar. For this, proposals have been sent to prospective clients, which included industrial units in and on the way to Amritsar. GAIL India is also planning to supply pipe gas to Radha Soami Dera Beas. Once the economic viability of the project is established, the company is keen to extend its pipeline from Jalandhar to Amritsar," said an official.
Nearly one lakh devotees partake langar daily at the Golden Temple and the cap on subsidised LPG cylinders announced by the Centre has hit the budget of SGPC hard with the Sikh body now shelling out more than double the price for each cylinder. The SGPC has also written to the petroleum minister to exempt the gurdwaras under SGPC from the capping policy, underlining the fact that SGPC provided langar free of cost.
In the letter to GAIL India, SGPC has underlined that 6,000 to 8,000 LPG cylinders are used for langar at the Golden Temple annually. A senior official of GAIL India had also paid a visit to the site in connection with the proposal, said sources.
"Natural gas will be cheaper than what SGPC is right now paying for LPG. Another major benefit will be round-the-clock availability of gas.
- Internal Maoist document targets 12 political leaders
- Forces didn’t follow SoP, says MHA
- ‘Teesta NGOs got foreign donations worth Rs 4 cr’
- Unable to pay to cheat, another student tries to kill himself in UP
- ‘Ignored’ by AAP, Mallika says won’t contest LS elections
- He didn’t want to lose a year, mother had mortgaged ring to arrange ‘bribe’
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express