Shah, Anandiben in BJP’s jumbo poll campaign panel
- Rs 870 crore money trail: Why the Bhujbals are under scanner
- SC allows 'Make in India' event at Mumbai beach, PM to inaugurate
- Pawar defends Bhujbals, says Fadnavis govt indulging in vendetta politics
- Anupam Kher a great artiste, welcome to visit Pakistan: Abdul Basit
- Indian helicopters helped war against militants in Afghanistan: US General
The BJP on Tuesday announced its 86-member election campaign committee to be headed by BJP's national vice-president Purshottam Rupala. The huge list includes former minister Amit Shah and prominent minister Anandiben Patel, both close to Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Also in the panel are Ahmedabad Mayor Asit Vora, who will lead the campaign in Modi's Maninagar constituency, his deputy Darshana Vaghela and former Ahmedabad mayor Kanaji Thakor.
Sunil Oza, who rejoined BJP after quitting Gordhan Zadaphia's now dissolved MahaGujarat Janata Party, also figures in the list.
Former IPS officer A I Saiyed and former chief of BJP's minority morcha Sajjad Heera are two prominent Muslim faces in the list.
The panel also includes Dattaji Chirandas, a loyalist of Shankersinh Vaghela who returned to BJP.
Popular television actor-turned-politician Smriti Irani is also part of the panel, as is Finance Minister Vajubhai Vala. BJP general secretary Vijay Rupani is also part of the committee.
Controversial Junagadh MP Dinu Solanki, against whom family members of slain RTI activist Amit Jethava have levelled murder charges, also finds his name in the list.
BJP meet in Delhi today to select candidates
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar
- ICDS, the primary scheme targeting malnutrition, needs to be broadened
- Rohith's death must focus attention on the rites of exclusion in the university
- Telescope: State in the bedroom
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism