Shah Rukh Khan police protection removed
- Coal scam: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh summoned as accused in Hindalco case
- Supreme Court hands out life term to six convicts in Manjunath murder case
- AAP Delhi MLAs write letter seeking expulsion of Yadav, Bhushan: Reports
- Land to Mines to coal, Oppn stands stall in RS
- BJP line to restive RSS: our ministers may quit if PDP doesn’t behave
In the face of the recent Police upgrading their watchfulness and re-evaluating their crime battling techniques, we hear that Shah Rukh Khan has been stripped of his police cover. This comes post a review by authorities concluding that he no longer faces any threat.
The protection of eight constables from the Mumbai police's Protection and Security Branch used to guard him in two shifts after the Indian Mujahideen sent an email to news channels, threatening attacks on him and three other celebrities in 2008.
While later in 2010 there were intelligence reports of fresh threats against Khan which led the authorities to maintain the cover. While last year, Deputy Police Commissioner Pratap Dighavkar submitted a report to the then police Chief Arup Patnaik, warning of threats from the Lashkar-e-Taiba to Khan and his son Aryan.
However, months after the report, the Protection and Security Branch carried out an audit, and decided to withdraw the cover. However, the police stated that Khan's cover has been negated since no reports suggest a threat, they claim that if threats arise, they will reconsider.