Shah Rukh Khan's lungi dance makes a comeback to Bollywood
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Honey Singh's Lungi Dance from Chennai Express has got the nation revved up for a good time on the dance floor.
Funny, how the lungi seems to have been a part of Hindi cinema from the time it was worn by Meena Kumari in Pakeezah for the song Mausam Hai Aashiqana. The lungi became a fashion statement for the ladies thereafter. We had Sharmila Tagore, Waheeda Rehman and Jaya Bhaduri in a lungi in more films than one.
Except for Mehmood, who was most comfortable sporting a lungi, leading men were shy of being seen in a lungi even if they were seen sleeping in a film.
A superstar of the 1960s and 70s says, "I was very comfortable wearing a lungi at home. But whenever I was asked to wear a lungi for a film, I shied away. I remember there was a scene in a film where I was shown sleeping in my bed. The director suggested I wear a lungi. I quickly had it changed to a night-suit."
It was Amitabh Bachchan who broke the jinx over lungis in films. It was his friend Manmohan Desai who convinced the Big B to get into a lungi and woo Hema Malini in the film Desh Premee with the song 'Khatoon ki khidmat mein salaam apan ka' that was a clear homage to Mehmood.
The Big B was very close to Mehmood. This lungi song was the Big B's homage. The song situation and the Big B's lungi look was a big hit.
But somehow, the lungi never became an integral apparel for Hindi cinema. Now with Shah Rukh Khan and Honey Singh getting into lungis to do the 'Lungi Dance' perhaps we can hope for a widespread legitimization of the lungi in our films.
Honey Singh, who shot the 'Lungi' number with Shah Rukh recently says he is very comfortable in the lungi. "I don't know why celebrities shy away from wearing a lungi in public. I'd happily be seen in one on stage."
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express