Shahid Afridi to front drug prevention campaign in Pakistan
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
All rounder Shahid Afridi will front a drug prevention campaign that aims at keeping youth off drugs in six districts of Pakistan''s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region where experts have reported drastic increase in use of drugs. According to the Daily Times, over the next three months, local-language drug prevention messages will be placed on billboards at strategic locations, while similar messages are broadcast over FM radio and local TV. A statement from the US Consulate General said the Pakistan star and UN Goodwill Ambassador, Afridi has committed to serve as the campaign spokesperson, Peshawar, Mardan, Kohat, Charsada, Swat, and Nowshera have been selected for the campaign. The statement added that the United States is partnering with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and Pakistan''s Ministry of Narcotics Control in order to implement this comprehensive awareness campaign. KP''s provincial government, as well as local NGOs such as the DOST Foundation, are also contributing to the project. Consul-General Reed said Pakistan has a growing population under the age of 15, which, in combination with economic challenges and the ready availability of drugs, makes drug use prevention crucial in controlling what could be a major health challenge in the future. General Reed added the US is committed to working with the government of Pakistan and the UN to carry out comprehensive anti-drug campaigns like this one that will help millions of young Pakistanis rise as far as their hard work and talent will take them. Afridi will encourage youth to avoid drugs and participate in healthy activities through the promotion of sports, the statement said. Fun community-based activities in schools and colleges will supplement the anti-drug message, the paper reported. For example, Afridi will host a KP province-wide cricket tournament for youth. Qualifying cricket matches will be held between various schools and colleges in the six selected campaign cities, the paper added.
- Khushpreet murder: Court holds 3 accused guilty
- Youth shot at, bullet still lodged in body
- Anti-incumbency strong, Akali SOS to BJP: send Modi
- Ahmedabad ‘dressmaker’ has designs on Modi’s style
- RSS launches statewide campaign for 100% turnout, no mention of Modi
- Movie on Modi released statewide, Cong cries foul