Shane Warne, Marlon Samuels in ugly T20 bust-up
- NASA Juno mission Live: Spacecraft in Jupiter's orbit, turns back towards sun
- Dhaka terror attack: At Tarishi’s funeral, a photograph tells the story
- Modi Cabinet reshuffle: 19 new faces inducted, Twitter reacts
- CBI arrests Kejriwal's principal secretary, four others, draws furious AAP reaction
- Jaish-e-Mohammed seeks funds for ‘jihad in India’ outside Karachi mosques
Australian star Shane Warne and West Indian international Marlon Samuels were involved in an ugly, foul-mouthed clash today when a Twenty20 match boiled over in front of a record crowd.
Spin legend Warne, captaining the Melbourne Stars against city rivals Renegades in the domestic Big Bash tournament, was furious that Samuels had pulled back David Hussey when the batsman was turning for a second run.
And when it was Samuels's turn to bat later in the game, Warne confronted the West Indian with the words "Fuck you, Marlon."
In the next over, Warne, in the field, threw the ball at the Jamaican's chest while Samuels reacted by tossing his bat down the pitch towards the Australian.
The two players squared up and had to be separated by the umpires.
Warne, who was wearing a microphone for on-field comments to aid TV coverage, told commentators: "What are you meant to do when someone throws a bat at you?"
Samuels was later forced to retire hurt when he top-edged a Lasith Malinga delivery into his eye. With blood gushing from his face, he needed hospital treatment.
- The export-led growth model needs rethinking
- Even in its hour of tragedy, Bangladesh reveals itself to be a bitterly divided nation
- Raghuram Rajan: Exit governor, enter academic
- Delhi needs a more agile — and more open — policy to engage with Beijing
- In a competitive global economy, India must use regulations strategically
- Dhaka terror attack exposes vulnerability of the state machinery in Bangladesh