Shankaracharya of Puri Swami Nischalananda Saraswati says western influence spurs rapes
- Uttarakhand: Rawat wins floor test, Centre tells SC, will revoke Prez Rule
- Can't deport Vijay Mallya, but can help with extradition: UK tells India
- DU speaks up: PM Modi’s BA degree authentic; AAP says statement made ‘under pressure from Centre'
- UPSC topper Tina Dabi picks ‘big paradox’ Haryana as cadre
- To delink caste from quota for ‘poor’, BJP steps over faultlines
Western influence was one of the main reasons behind the rise in incidents of rape in the country, Sankaracharya of Puri Swami Sri Nischalananda Saraswati said here today.
The western influence – films, club culture and drugs has destroyed the age old values and principles of the country. "There is need to change this. Before Independence we were able to maintain our culture and values but in the last 65 years we have lost a great part of it."
"Such horrific incidents (Delhi gangrape) don't happen all of a sudden. They happen when the thin line of culture and values are crossed in the name of civilisation and development."
The people, the holy man said, should ponder over this and ensure that such incidents don't happen.
"Earlier sisters and brothers roamed freely but nothing used to happen. There has been decline in human values, emotions... Our culture and civilization teaches us to respect women, who are our sisters and mothers," he said
Asked for his comment on the brutal killing of Indian soldiers by Pakistani army, the Sankaracharya said the incident was barbaric and against human values.
- Congress needs to transform governance in Uttarakhand
- States where cannabis sativa can be grown should take a more dispassionate look
- Socially-conscious cinema is demanding mainstream privileges
- Did anyone say assembly elections in West Bengal saw violence?
- Meanwhile on Uttarakhand, the BJP sputtered and stalled
- Using consumption expenditure to draw a poverty is a flawed rule