Shankaracharya of Puri Swami Nischalananda Saraswati says western influence spurs rapes
- Nitish trying to cheat Bihar, says Modi; CM replies PM disturbed with falling Sensex, GDP
- Manipur violence: Toll up to eight, three killed in police firing
- India script history, register first series win in Sri Lanka after 22 years
- Sheena, Mikhail my children, ready to undergo DNA test: Siddharth Das
- Market loses its nerve on weak GDP, Sensex tumbles 587 points
Western influence was one of the main reasons behind the rise in incidents of rape in the country, Sankaracharya of Puri Swami Sri Nischalananda Saraswati said here today.
The western influence – films, club culture and drugs has destroyed the age old values and principles of the country. "There is need to change this. Before Independence we were able to maintain our culture and values but in the last 65 years we have lost a great part of it."
"Such horrific incidents (Delhi gangrape) don't happen all of a sudden. They happen when the thin line of culture and values are crossed in the name of civilisation and development."
The people, the holy man said, should ponder over this and ensure that such incidents don't happen.
"Earlier sisters and brothers roamed freely but nothing used to happen. There has been decline in human values, emotions... Our culture and civilization teaches us to respect women, who are our sisters and mothers," he said
Asked for his comment on the brutal killing of Indian soldiers by Pakistani army, the Sankaracharya said the incident was barbaric and against human values.