Shankersinh Vaghela wins Kapadwanj seat
- Excessive rains wreak havoc in several states, 81 die due to flood
- Govt, Congress in war of words ahead of all-party meet
- Malaysia seeks help in finding more possible MH370 debris
- Sushma Swaraj has committed no crime: Parrikar on Lalit Modi case
- Congress hits back at Mahesh Sharma over his 'no work, no pay' remark
Congress leader Shankerinsh Vaghela on Thursday won from Kapadwanj seat in Kheda district by a slender margin of 6,597 votes defeating his BJP rival Kanubhai Dabhi.
Vaghela, head of Gujarat Congress campaign committee for the 2012 Assembly elections, polled 88,641 votes while his opponent Dabhi secured 82,044 votes.
After his victory, Vaghela said though he is happy on winning the seat, he is sad that the party has lost.
The former Gujarat chief minister said he accepts the verdict of the people in the state.
"We will work hard and try to convince the people that Congress is the best option," he said.
Vaghela's son Mahendrasinh also won from Bayad constituency in Sabarkantha, on a Congress ticket defeating BJP rival Udeisinh Jhala.