Shankersinh Vaghela wins Kapadwanj seat
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
Congress leader Shankerinsh Vaghela on Thursday won from Kapadwanj seat in Kheda district by a slender margin of 6,597 votes defeating his BJP rival Kanubhai Dabhi.
Vaghela, head of Gujarat Congress campaign committee for the 2012 Assembly elections, polled 88,641 votes while his opponent Dabhi secured 82,044 votes.
After his victory, Vaghela said though he is happy on winning the seat, he is sad that the party has lost.
The former Gujarat chief minister said he accepts the verdict of the people in the state.
"We will work hard and try to convince the people that Congress is the best option," he said.
Vaghela's son Mahendrasinh also won from Bayad constituency in Sabarkantha, on a Congress ticket defeating BJP rival Udeisinh Jhala.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today