Shankersinh Vaghela wins Kapadwanj seat
- Cong makes public Raje's signed document backing Lalit Modi, asks govt to sack her
- Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal announces run for US presidential elections 2016
- Maharashtra minister Pankaja Munde accused of Rs 206 crore 'scam'
- Smriti Irani in dock over fake degree; Congress, AAP demand her sacking
- All above the age of 75 in BJP declared brain dead by Modi: Yashwant Sinha
Congress leader Shankerinsh Vaghela on Thursday won from Kapadwanj seat in Kheda district by a slender margin of 6,597 votes defeating his BJP rival Kanubhai Dabhi.
Vaghela, head of Gujarat Congress campaign committee for the 2012 Assembly elections, polled 88,641 votes while his opponent Dabhi secured 82,044 votes.
After his victory, Vaghela said though he is happy on winning the seat, he is sad that the party has lost.
The former Gujarat chief minister said he accepts the verdict of the people in the state.
"We will work hard and try to convince the people that Congress is the best option," he said.
Vaghela's son Mahendrasinh also won from Bayad constituency in Sabarkantha, on a Congress ticket defeating BJP rival Udeisinh Jhala.