Sharad Yadav slams BJP, Cong over ‘growth debates’
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Janata Dal (United) president Sharad Yadav on Wendesday said the debate of development between BJP and Congress was "nonsensical" since situation of the poor and the tribals had not improved in the state.
"Handful people of the country are wealthy. They have created a comfortable world of their own. But Congress and BJP are seeking votes on the issue of development. Lekin vikas ke nam ki nirgun bahes chalati hain ye do partiya (These two parties are indulging in nonsensical debate on development)," Yadav said while addressing a press conference in the city.
"Out of six crore population of Gujarat, 1.10 crore are tribal. However, despite long years of Congress and 17 years' rule of BJP in the state, they continue to remain the poorest. Out of every 16 child, 14 are tribal. But children and women are malnourished. What development are they talking of?" he said.
He said goal of his in the state was not just to win but raise issues of the tribals and spread awareness among the community.
JDU is contesting on 87 out of 182 Assembly seats in Gujarat. The party has fielded candidates in tribal dominated constituencies like central and south Gujarat and a few in other parts of the state.
The NDA convenor said any certain candidate for the alliance for 2014 general elections was not under consideration. "Even Nitin Gandkari has clearly stated that there was not a fix candidate," he said.
On cricketer Irfan Pathan's presence at an election rally of Chief Minister Narendra Modi and film actors in campaigning, Yadav said, "Players should play and actors should do acting. They have no business in elections."
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid