Shelter home kid alleges abuse, probe ordered

After the medical examination of a seven-year-old resident of a government-run shelter home for children revealed that he had been abused "for quite some time", the Delhi High Court directed the city government to probe the allegations of grave sexual abuse.

The court had taken suo motu cognisance of the case on the basis of media reports, in which the boy had alleged that he had been sexually abused by three other residents and a guard of the home in Alipur.

A bench of Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Indermeet Kaur had earlier asked the government to get the boy's and his alleged abusers' medical examination done, after noting that the child was HIV positive since birth. The medical report, submitted before the court on Friday, noted that the three boys and the guard, named as accused, did not show any signs of having contracted the infection.

Government standing counsel Pawan Sharma told the court that it was not likely that the three boys had abused the child since they were under 14 years of age.

The court has asked the government to "find out why the victim has made allegations against the other children" and also told the government to find out "who is responsible for the abuse of the victim". The medical examination and the statement of the child indicated repeated abuse. The court has asked the government to file a status report on March 13.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.