Shettar backs Modi as BJP PM candidate
- Election LIVE: BJP's third candidate list out, Ram Kripal to contest from Patliputra against Lalu's daughter
- Show us the money, Supreme Court says, refuses bail to Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi High Court upholds death to four convicts
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy
- Prospects dim, Congress finding it hard to get many of its MPs to run for Lok Sabha
As Narendra Modi's electoral hat-trick set off debate about his national role, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Thursday virtually batted for him as BJP's prime ministerial candidate saying the outcome showed a new leader who can guide the nation in emerging.
"The (Gujarat) poll results have shown that a new leader who can guide the future of the country is emerging," he said congratulating Modi for retaining power in the Assembly polls for the third time in a row.
In a statement, Shettar said it is a victory of good governance and development.
He also said the people of Gujarat have accorded their approval for "exceptional development politics" pursued by Modi during last 11 years which has come to be known as the "Gujarat Model".
The BJP cadre across the country, especially in the states like Karnataka which are going to polls shortly, are enthused by the party's victory in Gujarat, Shettar said.