Shilpa Shetty: Women should carry knife to protect themselves
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Urging women to become "self-reliant", Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty today recommended them to carry a knife to protect themselves from molesters.
"Some people and molesters have a sick mentality... Police are doing their best to protect us, but how much they would do? Women should be self-reliant and carry a knife when they are in crowd," the actress told reporters here when her opinion was sought against the backdrop of recent assaults on women and gangrapes in the metropolis.
The 38-year-old actor was speaking at Bhaidas Hall in Vile Parle on the sidelines of a programme organised by the city police to create awareness among the Ganesh mandals about the safety and security during the ten-day Ganesh festival starting from Monday.
"We are reading in newspapers about such incidents (assaults on women). I am just fed up and sometimes I feel what kind of society we are living in," she said.
The actor thanked the policemen for their "good work".
"The job of policemen is extremely difficult and they are doing it in an extraordinary way. Entire load should not be put on the shoulders of policemen (during the Ganesh festival)...you become a responsible citizen and if you find anything unclaimed at any pandal, kindly inform the police," the actor appealed.