Shimla tour of women PMC corporators off, for now
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Emissary row: Sanjay Saraf dismisses reports of carrying any message from BJP
- The Third Front: Why transgenders remain a minority in election process
- Lok Sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- Elections LIVE 2014: Modi would have ousted Vajpayee like Jaswant and Advani, says Rahul
A controversy that had recently broken out over public money being diverted to fund a tour of women corporators of the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) to Shimla to attend a workshop will take a break for now. The organisers, All India Institute of Local Self Government (AIILSG) has postponed the event.
In a communication to the PMC commissioner, AIILSG stated, "The two-day workshop for corporators, officers and civic staff of the PMC in Shimla organised on February 22 - 23 is being postponed for some important reasons."
The workshop was planned to update corporators about important municipal rules, laws against shifting political allegiance and changing parties in course of a tenure, besides social and environmental issues, said B V Wakhure, training coordinator, AIILSG.
The PMC standing committee had recently sanctioned Rs 25 lakh to enable women corporators to attend the workshop in Shimla. However, it met with opposition from various organisations.
"We are sure the Shimla tour of women corporators will not take place now," said Sandeep Khardekar of BJP.