Ship carrying Pakistanis, Iraqis detained off Lakshadweep
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Polling stopped in Pune booth due to faulty EVMs
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- âWe gave instant justice, todayâs youth canât stand up for their mothersâ
An unidentified ship with over 25 Pakistani and Iraqi nationals on board has been detained off the coast of Lakshadweep by security agencies after it illegally entered Indian waters.
Sources privy to the probe said the ship had sailed into the waters and was cruising towards an unknown destination when it was challenged by the Coast Guard and the Navy. It has been anchored off the Lakshadweep coast.
The initial suspicion was that it could have been moving towards the Maldives, which, according to Indian intelligence, is now being preferred by terror groups based in Pakistan. However, the sources did not rule out that it could have been moving towards any of the unoccupied islands in Lakshadweep or Daman and Diu areas.
However, the picture would be clear once the people on board the ship are questioned by the central security agencies, the Coast Guard and the Navy, the sources said.
The ship was being thoroughly searched and a special team was being rushed from Delhi to carry out the searches as well as to interrogate the crew of the ship, they added.
The sources did not divulge as to when the ship was detained.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18