Shooter Mampi Das files FIR after fracas with Kolkata club members
- Pakistan: Twin blasts near Charsadda court, four dead, several feared injured
- Panama Papers: ED widens probe, issues advisories to 137 Indians
- FIR names A P Singh: CBI to probe its second director for corruption
- Same-sex attraction is OK, boys can cry, girl’s no means no
- Interview with Devendra Fadnavis: ‘Transparency to remain non-negotiable in Sena-BJP alliance after polls’
Indian shooting sensation Mampi Das on Monday was allegedly assaulted by a few fellow club members at the North Calcutta Rifle Club. The matter was reported to police, though West Bengal Rifle Association has asked the 17-year-old shooter not to pursue the case further and sort out the issue internally and amicably.
The controversy started this morning when Mampi went for training and was reportedly not allowed to enter the practice arena.
"Former India shooter Kuheli Ganguly's trainees blocked my way and told me to go off. When I protested they shoved me and assaulted my mother. Kaushalla Mondal, Soumya Chakrabarty, Sukanya Dutta and Aparna Dutta were in that group. All Kuheli's students. So I see Kuheli's hand in this. Mind you, she's doesn't hold any official post at the club and is just a member like me," Mampi said, speaking to The Indian Express. "But she enjoys enormous power. Her father Dipen Ganguly is the club's joint-secretary."
Mampi claims that it was only after suffering injuries did she call the cops. "I suffered hand and neck injuries. So I called the police and went to the Ultadanga Police Station to lodge an official complaint," she added.
Mampi and Kuheli have had their run-ins and according to the former, her senior colleague has always tried to make "life difficult" for her. This time the bone of contention was Mampi's participation in the shooting nationals that starts in Delhi from December 11.
"I didn't file my entry form for the nationals through the club this time, because on some occasions they didn't send my entry to the National Rifle Association of India on time and I had to pay hefty fines before being allowed to compete. So this time I submitted my entry as an individual and not on behalf of the club. I had the West Bengal Rifle Association's permission for that. But Kuheli was very unhappy and I suspect this was her way to settle the score," Mampi alleged.
- Pakistan is the site of conflict between two understandings of Islam. Let the music not fade
- Maharashtra civic polls underline the disconnect between urban governance and citizen
- India should resist the temptation of ideological correctness in engaging with Trump
- Digital education isn’t democratic, it creates deep inequalities between universities
- It is in India’s strategic interest to engage Afghan insurgents
- Trump’s America is a latecomer. It has much to learn from Vishwaguru India