Shootout reported from another Ponty Chadha farmhouse when he was killed

Ponty Chadha
Around the time liquor baron Ponty Chadha and his brother Hardeep were killed in a shootout at their Chattarpur farmhouse on Saturday, another similar gun battle was reported from their farmhouse in Brijwasan in southwest Delhi's Kapasera area.

While one group of men, allegedly Ponty's people, reached the Chattarpur farm and attacked Hardeep's staff, another set went to B-19, Brijwasan, apparently to take control of the farmhouse there, resulting in a shootout, police said. A FIR has been registered accusing Ponty's men of barging into the farmhouse with the intention of taking possession and harming Hardeep's staff.

"Hardeep's staff was inside the Brijwasan farmhouse when Ponty's men reached there and forcefully got inside. They allegedly robbed the staff members and also picked up Hardeep's men from there. They allegedly asked Hardeep's staff to vacate the farmhouse. A similar incident was reported from Mehrauli. However, the staff were not injured in this case," an official said, adding that two of Ponty's staff have been arrested in this case.

Hardeep left a meeting in Noida and reached Mehrauli to settle the matter with Ponty only after being informed about the two incidents, police said. More than 100 people are being questioned to establish the exact sequence of events and identify the weapons used. Forensic experts have taken 40 finger-print samples from three cars and finger-prints of all those detained to establish who were present with Ponty and Hardeep.

Delhi police also confirmed that three Punjab police security officers were with Hardeep during the incident. But Punjab police SSP Charanjeet Singh, in the capital since Sunday, denied the role of his men in the firing.

"The investigating officials have told me that that none of the policemen from Punjab police fired on the day of the incident. They have not been arrested. My men are helping Delhi police at the moment. None of them have been suspended," Singh said.

He said Hardeep had six Punjab police security officers, three of who were on leave on Saturday. Ponty had only one security officer. Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said his department would be writing to the Union home ministry about private individuals getting security from state police officers while in Delhi.

A team of police officers from Uttarakhand also reached the capital to probe the role of one of their men. Sachin Tyagi from the Uttarakhand police is still in detention after he reportedly shot at Hardeep in a bid to save his boss, Sukhdev Singh Namdhari. Tyagi was posted to guard Namdhari as he is the chairman of the Uttarakhand Minorities Commission.

Police said they also received a call from the Chattarpur farmhouse at around 11:50 am on Saturday before Hardeep reached the spot. But they found no violence outside farm house number 42. "Our men had reached farm number number 42 but there was no scuffle at the spot. After that they returned. Later we received a call from Fortis hospital about a man who was shot," said joint commissioner of police (southwest) Vivek Gogia.

Police later received information about a firing incident from the same area, Gogia added. When police reached the spot at around 12:30 pm they saw two cars, one Mercedes and another Scorpio, six people, one body and two pistols on the spot. The people then informed the police that a victim has been taken to Fortis hospital, later identified as Ponty Chadha.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.