Shops cash in on craze for jerseys, caps, Stumpy
- Navjot Sidhu: Quit RS because I was told to stay away from Punjab
- Chinkara poaching case: Salman Khan acquitted by Rajasthan High Court
- SC issues notice to Vijay Mallya on bank plea seeking contempt proceedings
- Journalists' visa issue: Chinese media warns India of repercussions
- Parliament LIVE: Speaker Mahajan advises Mann not to attend proceedings till decision arrived at
With the World Cup fever gripping Chandigarh in the wake of the semifinal clash between India and Pakistan to be played in Mohali on Wednesday, fans are out buying cricket merchandise.
A whole range of cricket merchandise — World Cup mascot Stumpy, Team India's jerseys, World Cup trophies, track pants, caps and sweatshirts — is available in various markets of the city.
To lay hands on a Stumpy, one has to shell out Rs 2,499 for a bigger version, while the smaller ones are priced at Rs 200 each. The kit of Team India ranges between Rs 199 and Rs 899. Even the sweatshirts being worn by Indian players can be found in these stores, along with a full range of jerseys and caps. To attract more customers, stores are also offering heavy discounts.
Manish Pathak, sales manager of Big Bazaar at Zirakpur, said: "The cricket merchandise in our mall has caught much attention with India performing well in the World Cup. With India's entry into the semifinals and the match being against Pakistan, the fans are showing a keen interest in the products."
Rakesh Kumar, store manager of Nike, said: "We have t-shirts with cricket terminologies, caps, bats and logos apart from Indian team jerseys. It looks like people are upbeat about the event — we are selling four to five pairs of team jerseys and trousers every day. The NRIs seem to be more excited. They purchase 10 to 12 pairs at one go. We expect the sales to increase in the next three days."
A shop dealing in sports goods in Sector 22 has announced a scheme, wherein gifts will be given to each customer on purchase of cricket items.
Free medals are also being given to each customer. Replica of World Cup trophies are also finding many takers. Ranging between Rs 100 and Rs 2,500, the trophies can be found in a variety of sizes.
- BJP was not dependent on Dalits to win Gujarat. But the apathy may cost in other states
- Jayalalithaa and Mamata defend Mayawati, recast politics on gender lines
- The Worship of False Gods
- As Trump’s support cuts across traditional lines, Hillary Clinton has a tough task
- SH Raza He was the last of Progressive Artists’ Group titans. Only the Bindu remains
- The recent violence against Dalits in Gujarat is a fallout of the Sangh Parivar’s diktats on food