- PM Modi's 'strategic restraint' choice: A virtue or a necessity?
- PM to people of Pak: Let’s go to war against unemployment, poverty... let’s see who wins
- Uri attack: Odia BSF jawan succumbs to injuries, death toll rises to 19
- Rain havoc in Telangana: Death toll rises to 8 in Medak
- Kashmir: Curfew imposed in Kishtwar following arrest of 3 charged with sedition
Letter and Spirit
A collection of Arabic calligraphy paintings by Mumbai-based artist Salva Rasool will be on display at Nehru Centre Art Gallery, Worli, from October 31 to November 5. Titled "Elahiya, Divine Words", this collection makes use of different styles of calligraphy and new colour compositions. Contact: 24964676
A jazz festival at the National Centre for Performing Arts, Nariman Point, from November 3 to 5, will feature several well-known musicians from six bands from the US and Russia. Among these are Russell Malone, Diane Witherspoon, Helen Sung, Lewis Nash, Steve Masakowski, Sylvia Cuenca and Igor Butman.
Colombian music band Cimarron's CV lists several accolades, from a Grammy nomination to the Best Album award at the Independent Music Awards 2012. The band will perform for the Delhi International Arts Festival at the India Habitat Centre on October 29. Expect festive dance music from the Colombian plains, where Andalusian, indigenous Indian and African influences have combined to produce some powerful tunes. Contact: 24682001
Watch the Step
Dancers, choreographers and performers such as Maya Rao, Navtej Johar, Sheetal Gandhi, Aakash Odedra, and Nrityagram will present their works at Ignite! Festival of Contemporary Dance. In an effort to reach the common man, the festival includes several performances at public sites such as malls. Ignite! will be held from October 31 to November 4 at various locations in the city. Contact: 64625766
If you are an artist living or studying in Chandigarh, Panchkula or Mohali, you could show your work at the Annual Art Exhibition 2012 organised by the Chandigarh Lalit Kala Akademi. Artists can participate in competition or not-for-competition sections in fields such as painting, sculpture, photography and drawing. Submission of entries for students begins on November 1. Contact: www.lalitkalachandigarh.com
- Across the aisle: In search of a Pakistan policy
- Fifth column: War, not terrorism
- Out of my mind: The Chinese way
- Inside track: Keeping him away
- In both India and Pakistan, war and peace are used to make political gains
- PM Modi’s strategy of escalation vis a vis Pak seems like a gamble, but not without calculation.