Shunted out, Damayanti sent to Hills in turmoil
- Pakistan court declares 26/11 accused Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi's detention void
- Chairs broken, MLAs faint in Kerala Assembly as Finance Minister KM Mani presents budget
- ‘Love jihad’ gets a Bengal reply: Bahu lao, Beti bachao, ‘purify’ Muslim brides
- Kolkata Park Street rape victim dies
- LIVE: PM Modi arrives in Sri Lanka; assures visa on arrival for Lankan nationals
IPS officer Damayanti Sen, who had been at the core of the raging controversy after the Park Street gangrape incident, has got a new challenging posting. She will be the new DIG (Darjeeling Range). Sen was shunted out of Kolkata Police where she was Joint Commission of Police (Detective Department ) after she cracked the Park Street rape case and virtually deflated Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's claim that the incident was a "fabricated one intended to malign the Trinamool Congress government".
Sen held on to the view that the rape victim's allegations had elements of truth and arrested some of the accused. But the government shunted her out and made Sen DIG (Training) at Barrackpore.
Sen's posting in the Hills comes at a time when the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has renewed their agitation for Gorkhaland and threatened that the stir could be a violent one. The movement for Gorkhaland is largely spearheaded by women cadres of the GJM and therefore her role as a woman IPS officer could be crucial for the administration.