Shunted out, Damayanti sent to Hills in turmoil
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy sent to police custody till March 4
- Petrol price hiked by 60 paise per litre, diesel by 50 paise
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
- Govt hikes DA by 10% for 80 lakh employees & pensioners
IPS officer Damayanti Sen, who had been at the core of the raging controversy after the Park Street gangrape incident, has got a new challenging posting. She will be the new DIG (Darjeeling Range). Sen was shunted out of Kolkata Police where she was Joint Commission of Police (Detective Department ) after she cracked the Park Street rape case and virtually deflated Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's claim that the incident was a "fabricated one intended to malign the Trinamool Congress government".
Sen held on to the view that the rape victim's allegations had elements of truth and arrested some of the accused. But the government shunted her out and made Sen DIG (Training) at Barrackpore.
Sen's posting in the Hills comes at a time when the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has renewed their agitation for Gorkhaland and threatened that the stir could be a violent one. The movement for Gorkhaland is largely spearheaded by women cadres of the GJM and therefore her role as a woman IPS officer could be crucial for the administration.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past