Shunted out, Damayanti sent to Hills in turmoil
- Vasundhara Raje rubbishes allegations of favouring Lalit Modi, documents claim she testified for his immigration
- PM Modi extends best wishes to Nawaz Sharif for Ramzan
- EC suspends recognition of PA Sangma-led National People’s Party
- Sushma-Lalit row: Congress questions Modi's continued silence
- BJP not to announce CM candidate in Bihar, will contest on Modi's name
IPS officer Damayanti Sen, who had been at the core of the raging controversy after the Park Street gangrape incident, has got a new challenging posting. She will be the new DIG (Darjeeling Range). Sen was shunted out of Kolkata Police where she was Joint Commission of Police (Detective Department ) after she cracked the Park Street rape case and virtually deflated Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's claim that the incident was a "fabricated one intended to malign the Trinamool Congress government".
Sen held on to the view that the rape victim's allegations had elements of truth and arrested some of the accused. But the government shunted her out and made Sen DIG (Training) at Barrackpore.
Sen's posting in the Hills comes at a time when the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has renewed their agitation for Gorkhaland and threatened that the stir could be a violent one. The movement for Gorkhaland is largely spearheaded by women cadres of the GJM and therefore her role as a woman IPS officer could be crucial for the administration.