SI accused in bribery case granted bail
- Elections 2014 Live: Sonia Gandhi, Arvind Kejriwal cast their votes in third phase of LS polls
- Modi tukde tukde kar dega... ladaa dega, says Rahul
- Congress not aggressive enough, says Sharad Pawar
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Two CRPF jawans killed in Bihar before start of polling
A Special CBI court on Tuesday granted bail to Sub-Inspector (SI) Naveen Kumar Sharma and mediator S N Aneja, as sleuths of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) were unable to file a challan against the two accused, 60 days after they were arrested by the CBI for allegedly accepting an illegal gratification of Rs 5 lakhs on September 5.
Earlier, a bail plea moved by the accused on October 12 was rejected by the court. At that point in time, the court believed that if the accused was released on bail, he might hamper the investigation proceedings, which were at a preliminary stage.
Sharma of Economic Offences Wing, Chandigarh Police, was caught by the CBI sleuths while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 5 lakh, following a complaint made by Ludhiana resident Sukhbir Singh Shergill.
The total deal of Rs 10 lakh was finalised with the help of advocate S N Aneja. After Shergill approached the CBI, a trap was laid. However, the SI fled when he was brought for arrest, but was later arrested on September 6.
CBI sleuths recovered 41 bottles of liquor of foreign brands and Rs 9 lakh from his Sector 46 house during a raid.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi