SI accused in bribery case granted bail
- Subrata Roy sent to police custody by Supreme Court till next hearing, faces 'ink attack'
- Nitin Gadkari-Raj Thackeray closeness could 'affect' alliance, hints Shiv Sena
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Smith announces sudden retirement, says fortunate to have had many highs
- Third Front is unviable 'tired front', says Mamata Banerjee
A Special CBI court on Tuesday granted bail to Sub-Inspector (SI) Naveen Kumar Sharma and mediator S N Aneja, as sleuths of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) were unable to file a challan against the two accused, 60 days after they were arrested by the CBI for allegedly accepting an illegal gratification of Rs 5 lakhs on September 5.
Earlier, a bail plea moved by the accused on October 12 was rejected by the court. At that point in time, the court believed that if the accused was released on bail, he might hamper the investigation proceedings, which were at a preliminary stage.
Sharma of Economic Offences Wing, Chandigarh Police, was caught by the CBI sleuths while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 5 lakh, following a complaint made by Ludhiana resident Sukhbir Singh Shergill.
The total deal of Rs 10 lakh was finalised with the help of advocate S N Aneja. After Shergill approached the CBI, a trap was laid. However, the SI fled when he was brought for arrest, but was later arrested on September 6.
CBI sleuths recovered 41 bottles of liquor of foreign brands and Rs 9 lakh from his Sector 46 house during a raid.
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore