SI accused in bribery case granted bail
- AAP rebel Yogendra Yadav calls show cause notice a joke
- After death of 15-year-old in Narbal, J&K police say troops violated SOP
- Ahead of Kisan rally, Rahul Gandhi meets delegation of farmers
- Suicide bombing in eastern Afghanistan kills 30, injures over 80
- First Germany, now UK objects to India ‘breach’ of secret bank data
A Special CBI court on Tuesday granted bail to Sub-Inspector (SI) Naveen Kumar Sharma and mediator S N Aneja, as sleuths of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) were unable to file a challan against the two accused, 60 days after they were arrested by the CBI for allegedly accepting an illegal gratification of Rs 5 lakhs on September 5.
Earlier, a bail plea moved by the accused on October 12 was rejected by the court. At that point in time, the court believed that if the accused was released on bail, he might hamper the investigation proceedings, which were at a preliminary stage.
Sharma of Economic Offences Wing, Chandigarh Police, was caught by the CBI sleuths while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 5 lakh, following a complaint made by Ludhiana resident Sukhbir Singh Shergill.
The total deal of Rs 10 lakh was finalised with the help of advocate S N Aneja. After Shergill approached the CBI, a trap was laid. However, the SI fled when he was brought for arrest, but was later arrested on September 6.
CBI sleuths recovered 41 bottles of liquor of foreign brands and Rs 9 lakh from his Sector 46 house during a raid.