S-Iís daughter shoots self with his pistol
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
A 20-year-old girl allegedly committed suicide by shooting herself with the licensed pistol of her father Dharm Narayan Pandey, who is a sub-inspector, at her residence in Lucknow's Krishna Nagar area on Wednesday morning. Poonam Pandey was a first year student of Chanakya National Law University in Patna and was visiting her parents. No suicide note was found.
The police said the motive for Poonam taking the extreme step could not be ascertained.
Additional Superintendent of Police (East) Rajesh Kumar said no one in the family could give a reason why the girl committed suicide. The pistol of her father has been seized, he added.
Pandey is attached with the Special Investigation Team of the UP Police and is posted in Lucknow.
Krishna Nagar Circle Officer Rajesh Kumar Srivastava said Poonam's parents were present in the house at the time of the incident. Poonam and her mother were sleeping in one room, while Pandey was sleeping in another room, he added.
According to the
police, at 7 am, Poonam's mother, Urmila, was woken up by a loud sound and found her daughter lying on floor, with blood oozing out from her right temple, and a pistol in her hand.
She immediately called her husband. When Pandey rushed to the room, Poonam was already dead. He informed the police who rushed to the place.
Poonam's brother Ravindra Pandey works in a private firm in Delhi.
During questioning, Pandey told the police that he had kept his licensed pistol in the almirah of the room where his daughter and wife slept.
- Terror accused wrongly jailed for 14 yrs, NHRC notices to Home Ministry, police
- SP hints no candidates against Sonia, Rahul
- In Hills, BJP gains GJM edge
- Delhi Police forms patrol teams to check pick-pocketing in Metro
- Two months to go and EC receives myriad complaints
- Maharashtra hailstorm hits crop worth Rs 5,000 cr
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress