S-I shot at for intervening in fight among youths, 3 held
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
Three students were arrested on Saturday for allegedly firing at a sub-inspector in Bhawanpur area of Meerut on late Friday night.
A group of students had entered into an scuffle with Sub-Inspector A P Singh when he tried to stop their quarrel on Friday night. One of the students then fired at Singh, injuring him in his left shoulder.
Singh is posted as Hasanpur outpost in-charge in Bhawanpur area. According to police, Singh, a resident of Aligarh district, lives in a rented room of Bajrang Hostel in Bhawanpur area and there are also some students residing in the same hostel.
Bhawanpur Station Officer Dileep Singh said a group of six students came to the hostel on Friday night and started a quarrel. "When the Sub-Inspector went to the quarrelling students and asked them to stop fighting, some students started a quarrel with him. Following this, one of the student, Awadhesh Tomar, shot him at his left shoulder," he said.
Police said Singh was admitted to Anand hospital where his condition is said to be stable. An FIR has been lodged against six students under IPC 307 (attempt to murder). The station officer said police have arrested three students — Awadhesh Tomar, Manish Pratap Singh, both residents of Mundali area, and Kapil Verma, a resident of Rabbupura, from Hasanpur area.
He said three other students identified as Danny, Pankaj Sharma and Montu were still absconding.
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports
- AAP’s existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
- HC breather for widow, stay on sessions court order to act against her for filing ‘false complaint’
- Explain stand to DCP: HC to TISS students
- Cops record statements of two priests whom Sanap ‘consulted after crime’
- Atletico end Italian hopes