Siblings on bike die in hit-and-run
- LIVE Netaji files: PM Modi declassifies 100 files on Subhash Chandra Bose
- Anti-national Rohith to Mother India son Rohith: Why the shift
- NIA arrests 13 Islamic State sympathisers in 'anti-terror' crackdown
- Rohith Vemula suicide: Police ready to move in, students set for face-off
- Live, Ind vs Aus, 5th ODI: Dhawan, Rohit get India off to flying start
In a hit-and-run, two siblings were on Tuesday evening killed on the Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road in Powai after a car hit their motorcycle from behind and sped away.
Police said Ashwin Pawar (23) and his sister Varsha (21), who were residents of Powai's Tunga village on the Saki-Vihar Road, were moving towards D Mart on Tuesday when a speeding car crashed into their bike from behind. They were thrown off the bike. Neither was wearing a helmet and suffered severe injuries.
The car sped off and the police said no one noted down its registration number.
Some motorists who saw the victims alerted police and the two were rushed to Hiranandani Hospital where they were declared dead on arrival. The bodies were taken to Rajawadi Hospital in Ghatkopar for post-mortem on Wednesday.
"We registered a case under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code and 134 (A) and 134 (B) (related to duty of a driver in case of an accident and injury to a person) of the Motor Vehicles Act. So far, no eyewitnesses have come forward to describe the accident," said Bajirao Bhosle, senior police inspector, Powai police station.