Sikh Student Federation appeals to Akal Takht not to attend 'Maha Kumbh Mela'
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
The All India Sikh Student Federation (AISSF) today objected to the apex religious body of the community, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC)'s decision to participate in the 'Maha Kumbh Mela', saying that it is against the "basic tenets" of the religion.
"The community respects all the religions but forgetting one's own glorious past and following the tenets of other religion is not acceptable," AISSF president Karnail Singh Peer Mohammad said in a statement here.
His statement comes in the wake of SGPC accepting an invitation extended by Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh(RSS) president Mohan Bhagwat to attend the two-months long Maha Kumbh Mela beginning from tomorrow.
He said the Mela had no significance in Sikhism and participation in the religious gathering would send out a wrong signal, especially about the independent identity of the Sikhs.