Silver Lining at Oscars
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
Anupam Kher played the role of a 65-year-old in his first big break in Mahesh Bhatt's Saaransh at the age of 28. This was also India's official entry to the Oscars in 1984. Today, Kher finds his movie in the Oscar race once again. He plays Dr Patel in Silver Linings Playbook, a film that has bagged eight Oscar nominations this year. In an interview, he tells Priyanka Pereira about his Hollywood debut and how life has come a full circle since Saaransh.
Silver Linings Playbook has got eight Oscar nominations. Did you expect this?
Yes, I did. In fact, when I signed the film, I had told my friends that going by the script, the film would get at least six nominations. I am happy we got more. I may not have a personal nomination, but just being a part of this illustrious cast and crew has been one of the best experiences of my life.
Will you be attending the Oscars?
Of course. I will join the entire team there. Before that, the film has also been nominated at the Screen Actors Guild Award in Los Angeles. One of the nominations is for Best Ensemble Cast, and I will be going there as well with the team. I remember, my first film Saaransh (1984) was India's official entry to the Oscars. We did not have the knowhow then, but now we have come a long way.
The role of Dr Patel is pivotal to the storyline. How did you bag it?
There were three rounds of auditions that I went through. I had no idea about the casting till then. I opted to audition for it because I knew this would be the best role any Asian actor would get in a Hollywood film, unless the film revolved around India.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2