Silver Lining at Oscars
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions
- Nandan Nilekani, Mohammad Kaif in Congressâs first list for 194 seats
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Naidu
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Kejriwal joins list of VIPs with âZâ category security
Anupam Kher played the role of a 65-year-old in his first big break in Mahesh Bhatt's Saaransh at the age of 28. This was also India's official entry to the Oscars in 1984. Today, Kher finds his movie in the Oscar race once again. He plays Dr Patel in Silver Linings Playbook, a film that has bagged eight Oscar nominations this year. In an interview, he tells Priyanka Pereira about his Hollywood debut and how life has come a full circle since Saaransh.
Silver Linings Playbook has got eight Oscar nominations. Did you expect this?
Yes, I did. In fact, when I signed the film, I had told my friends that going by the script, the film would get at least six nominations. I am happy we got more. I may not have a personal nomination, but just being a part of this illustrious cast and crew has been one of the best experiences of my life.
Will you be attending the Oscars?
Of course. I will join the entire team there. Before that, the film has also been nominated at the Screen Actors Guild Award in Los Angeles. One of the nominations is for Best Ensemble Cast, and I will be going there as well with the team. I remember, my first film Saaransh (1984) was India's official entry to the Oscars. We did not have the knowhow then, but now we have come a long way.
The role of Dr Patel is pivotal to the storyline. How did you bag it?
There were three rounds of auditions that I went through. I had no idea about the casting till then. I opted to audition for it because I knew this would be the best role any Asian actor would get in a Hollywood film, unless the film revolved around India.
- Nilekani gets Cong nod for B’lore South
- Independents, smaller parties throng Ralegan Siddhi for Hazare’s support
- 12 MPs retained as BJP announces first state list
- Modi’s Chai pe Charcha part II a women’s day out
- Thank God I am not killed in encounter, says Kejriwal
- Lok Sabha poll fever rules Women’s Day celebrations