SIMI activist who had escaped from jail arrested in MP
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR against Azam Khan; Rahul to file nomination papers today
Madhya Pradesh Police Tuesday arrested SIMI activist Abu Fazal alias Doctor who had escaped from a jail in Khandwa.
Two other persons who are believed to have sheltered Fazal, allegedly involved in several acts of terror, were also taken into custody from an encounter in Sendhva in Badwani district.
DGP Nandan Dubey said three pistols, cartridges and Rs 1.35 lakh in cash were recovered from Fazal, Khalid Mohammed, a resident of Solapur, and Irfan Nagori, a resident of Mahidpur in Ujjain district.
Fazal, who hails from Uttar Pradesh, used to operate from Mumbai. He was arrested along with several SIMI activists in June 2011 and was kept in Bhopal central jail before being shifted to Khandwa.
Between September 30 and October 1, Fazal and five hardcore SIMI activists escaped after breaking open a bathroom window and then scaling the high wall amid lax security. One person who had also escaped was caught within hours but he was not found to be involved in SIMI activities.
Police sources said Fazal had probably moved in three-four states while being on the run. During his interrogation, Fazal had told the MP police about a plot to kill UP high court judges who gave a verdict in the Ram temple case.
Dubey said no one was hurt during Tuesday's encounter but refused to spell out more details saying interrogation of all three was on. Nagori is believed to be related to Safdar Nagori, a hardened SIMI activist now in jail.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit