Simran Sood gets bail, not freedom
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- GMR pilots skip medical tests before flying Rahul Gandhi, to be grounded
- Supreme Court recognises third gender, glimmer of hope for gays
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia to address rally in Telangana; Smriti Irani to file nomination shortly
Model Simran Sood, accused of involvement in the murder of senior citizen Arun Tikku, was granted bail by a magistrate on Friday on a surety of Rs 1 lakh.
The model facing charges in another murder case of Karan Kakkad and a cheating case, will, however, not be released immediately.
"Her role has not been clearly mentioned in the charge sheet. Besides, police are building the case on a confession statement given by co-accused. But the statement does not mention Sood. This argument was accepted by the court," defence lawyer Aarati Deshmukh said.
The defence also argued the murder was not pre-planned and Sood had no knowledge of it.
"She (Sood) has been directed to surrender her passport and not leave the city," Deshmukh said.
Gangster Vijay Palande and aides Dhananjay Shinde and Manoj Gajkosh allegedly killed businessman Arun Tikku (62) at Samarth Aangan Society, Oshiwara, on April 7.
Police claimed Palande also intended to kill his actor-son Anuj to take over properties worth Rs 50 crore.
The charge sheet claims Sood introduced Palande to Anuj. It says Palande introduced himself as Karan Sood, brother of Simran.
The prosecution claimed the conspiracy was hatched keeping Sood in the loop and she was aware of plans to kill Tikku.