Singer Chitra overtaken by grave tragedy
- Sheena Bora murder case: Third accused Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police
- 3 civilians dead, nearly a dozen injured in Pakistan firing in J&K
- Nitish Kumar's Arvind Kejriwal symbolism looks good but unease in allies RJD, Congress
- OROP row: Veterans reject govt offer, boycott 1965 golden jubilee celebrations
- Patidar protest: HC directs CID to investigate custodial death of Patel youth
Singer Chitra, who made every heart croon with her soulful rendition of 'Payali Chunmun Chunmun' from the smash hit 'Virasat' and many other hit songs has suffered a tragedy.
The singer's eight-year old daughter Nandana, fell into a swimming pool and drowned on Friday morning. The child was rushed to the hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival.
Reportedly, Chitra found out about the incident when she was in Sharjah to perform at music maestro AR Rahman's concert.
Many from the South Indian film industry had gone to pay their respects to Chitra's daughter, including Ilayaraja, Ganesh, Sreekumaran Thampi, S P Balasubramaniam, S Janaki, P Suseela, Mano, S P Shylaja, Sharath, Rajamani, Sujatha, Ajith and sportsperson Shiny Wilson.
The family returned to Chennai on the same day and kept the funeral for the child on Friday evening.