Singer Mika Singh gets bail
- Muslim women beaten up in Madhya Pradesh over beef rumours
- Harish Rawat confirms Chinese incursion in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district
- GST Bill: Uncertainty continues as States don’t agree on rate
- Cow was killed by lion, not Dalit men flogged by gau rakshaks: CID
- How Governor Raghuram Rajan had his way on venue for RBI interviews
Bollywood singer Mika Singh, who was arrested last night at the international airport here for allegedly carrying Indian and foreign currency beyond permissible limit, was today granted bail for Rs one lakh, Customs officials said.
"Singh was let off after being granted bail for Rs one lakh. In his statement, the singer claimed he got the money for performing stage shows for two days abroad," an official said.
Singh, who arrived here from Bangkok by a private airline at around 7.30 PM yesterday, had been intercepted by the officials. During checking, he was found in possession of USD 12,000 and Rs 3 lakh cash.
As per Customs norms, Indian passengers coming from abroad and carrying over Rs 7,500 and USD 5,000 need to make a declaration about the same upon arrival, the official said.
The 35-year-old singer was unable to give satisfactory answers about the currency in his possession following which he was arrested under relevant sections of Customs Act.
- Nativist sentiments and a growing tendency towards looking inwards imperil globalisation
- Poor infrastructure not outdated syllabi — is what ails Indian universities
- India will have to get its act together on urban water
- Qandeel Baloch’s murder: Men craft, interpret and adjudicate over family laws in the subcontinent
- BJP was not dependent on Dalits to win Gujarat. But the apathy may cost in other states
- Jayalalithaa and Mamata defend Mayawati, recast politics on gender lines