Singh, Sharif meet a 'miracle': Pakistan media
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
Pakistani media on Monday termed the first meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Nawaz Sharif as a "minor miracle" and noted that the dialogue held amidst a tense atmosphere yielded "words" but "no action". The much anticipated meeting between the two PMs took place on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York on Sunday.
The News International in its editorial said the prelude to the meeting could not have been more disastrous, and that the meeting itself took place is a "minor miracle" as both sides called it useful and constructive.
The Dawn newspaper said the meeting with the "lowest expectations" was perhaps a small victory for both the nations, while the Daily Times said the intent shown by both the neighbours to continue the process of dialogue and peace negotiations was encouraging.
The Dawn editorial headlined "Words, no action", praised Singh for holding talks despite "pressure domestically". The News said Prime Minister Singh has "devoted much of his speech" at the UN General Assembly to the question of Pakistan and terrorism, calling "us an 'epicentre of terrorism' and refusing to negotiate over the status of Kashmir."
It said External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid "poured further fuel to the fire by blaming the Pakistan military and the ISI for not obeying PM Nawaz and for militancy in Kashmir."
Snehesh Alex Philip
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students