SIT begins probe into murder of 9 in Nagaland
- Indo-Pak NSAs meet in Bangkok, discuss terrorism, J&K
- Schools, colleges to remain shut in Chennai; full-scale flight operations to resume tomorrow
- No problem with Kejriwal's odd-even formula, won't mind taking bus to work: CJI
- Screaming 'this is for Syria', man stabs three at London station
- In Delhi, odd-numbered cars to run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
The SIT constituted to probe killing of nine persons, whose highly decomposed bodies were found blindfolded with hands tied and shot from close range in a gorge in Dimapur, began its probe today, with police still trying to establish the identities of eight victims.
In its first meeting during the day, the Special Investigation Team discussed among other issues, the process of investigation and motive for the murder, Additional SP of Dimapur and a member of the SIT, Watichuchang Jamir said. The bodies were discovered stacked atop each other at Pachaspura on Friday.
One of the nine victims had been identified as the secretary of Karbi Students' Association Bokajan Branch, Harlongbi Ingti yesterday, he said. Jamir said he was hopeful that the identities of the other victims would be established by this evening.
Dimapur SP V Z Angami had yesterday said that the corpses were covered with a polythene sheet over which some boulders were placed and it was suspected that the victims might have been killed over a week ago as the bodies were decomposed beyond recognition.
Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio ordered constitution of the SIT and a High Power Enquiry Committee to inquire into the murder last night, chief minister's secretary L Kire said in a release.
Rio also appealed to the people to remain calm and maintain peace and extend assistance to the investigating agencies.
- Chennai Floods: The burden of bravery
- Paris climate summit underlines progress depends on innovation and global partnership
- MP’s agricultural growth rates offer important lessons for the Centre
- In a divided social milieu, ‘sabka saath, sabka vikas’ is an idle fancy
- AuGrav customised jewellery: All that glitters is now 3D
- Across the aisle: How to lose a friend and alienate people