Six Twitter accounts resembling PMO's official account blocked
- Rs 870 crore money trail: Why the Bhujbals are under scanner
- SC allows 'Make in India' event at Mumbai beach, PM to inaugurate
- Pawar defends Bhujbals, says Fadnavis govt indulging in vendetta politics
- Anupam Kher a great artiste, welcome to visit Pakistan: Abdul Basit
- Indian helicopters helped war against militants in Afghanistan: US General
Six Twitter accounts, having resemblance to the Prime Minister's official account 'PMOIndia', have been closed down after objectionable content was detected on these.
Sources said the PMO had asked the Cyber Security Cell of the Department of Information and Technology to block these accounts as these could be mistaken as the official account of the PMO and have serious ramifications.
"These accounts contained certain content having communal overtones and it could be dangerous," a source said.
Earlier, the PMO had asked the Twitter to shut down these accounts but after it was not done, the matter was referred to the Cyber Security Cell, the sources said.
The matter is about two months old, they said.
The particular action by the PMO is separate from the recent action initiated by the Home Ministry against some internet portals after some of them were found to be helping in rumour mongering about threats to people from North East in various other parts of the country.
The PMO has initiated the action after taking relevant legal opinion and going through the respective clauses of the Information and Technology Act.
The authentic twitter account of the PM Manmohan Singh's office is 'PMOIndia' and it states that it is the "official twitter account of the Prime Minster's office. Pages may be archived under IT Act".
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism
- As it completes 10 years, there is enough evidence to show that India needs the MGNREGA
- For Randhir Singh, teaching was next to revolution-making.
- Intizar Husain seemed as much a stranger in a strange land in Pakistan as he did in India
- Ten years on, MGNREGA requires constant review. And consistency in political support
- The global economy is in trouble but India is attracting positive comment