Slain Maoistís wife to attend convention in Kolkata
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Glen Maxwell plays another blinder, leads KXIP to stunning win
K Padma, wife of the slain Maoist leader, Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad, will be one of the speakers of the two-day convention at the Muslim Institute in central Kolkata on December 14 and 15, organised by the Committee for the Release of Political Prisoners. The convention is organised to demand the release of political prisoners.
Padma was arrested in 2012 along with six of her associates after Maoist uniform and cash were reportedly seized from them. She was later released on bail. Azad, who was the spokesperson of the Maoists central committee, was instrumental in initiating peace process between the Centre and the CPI-Maoist. Since his death three years ago, CPI-Maoists has refused to resume dialogue with the Centre.
Meanwhile, police in the city were oblivious to K Padma's Kolkata plans.
Family members of several prisoners arrested on sedition charges will be present in the convention. Apart from Padma, Maoists ideologue Varavara Rao and Arundhati Roy will also be attending the convention.
- One card for Metro, DTC and cluster buses gets Lt-Governor’s green light
- Tech graduate shoots at man ‘talking loudly’
- Gun attack kills 3 in eastern Ukraine, breaks Easter truce
- ED acting at behest of PC: Bengal govt
- Delhi policemen beaten up in Pataudi village
- J&K cops leave poll staff ‘stuck in snow, fly away with EVMs’