Smita Patil, Parveen Babi original choice for 'Silsila': Yash Chopra
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Four policemen, two polling officers killed in Maoist attack
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KKR vs RCB: KKR manage 150/7 against RCB
In a revelation, filmmaker Yash Chopra today said that for the hit "Silsila" he had earlier chosen to cast Smita Patil and Parveen Babi alongside Amitabh Bachchan instead of Jaya Bachchan and Rekha.
In a conversation with Shah Rukh on the occasion of his 80th birthday, Chopra disclosed that both Smita Patil and Parveen Babi had signed the film.
"Silsila", the 1981 romantic film directed by Chopra starred besides Amitabh, Jaya, Rekha, Sanjeev Kumar and Kulbhushan Kharbanda, with Shashi Kapoor in a special appearance.
"I had signed both Smita Patil and Parveen Babi and both of them were to start shooting. Smita was to do the role played by Jaya Bachchan and Parveen that of Rekha. I went to meet Amitji and spoke to him about the film," Chopra said.
"It was Amitji who asked me if I was happy... content with the casting (Smita Patil, Parveen Babi and Amitabh Bachchan) and do I feel it is the ideal casting. I told him I wanted to cast him, Jayaji and Rekha. He took a long pause and told me that he was fine with the decision but asked me to convince the two actresses," he said.
Later, Chopra met Jaya and Rekha and both of them agreed to do the film.
"I had told both (Jaya and Rekha) of them that koi gadbadi na ho (hope there will be no disturbance on the sets)," he chuckled... He seemed to be referring to the real life tension between the two actress, courtesy their love for Bachchan.
Chopra revealed that Parveen was fine with it but Smita Patil was hurt mainly because Chopra had asked his actor friend Shashi Kapoor to pass the bad news to her.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling